Porcelain coffee cup and saucer
ЛФЗ (Lomonosov Porcelain Factory)
1744 - present
Place and Date of Production:
USSR, Leningrad, 1980s
porcelain, decal, gilding
height of the cup - 6 cm; diameter of saucer - 11,5 cm
The Imperial Porcelain Factory is a producer of fine, handpainted ceramic products in Saint Petersburg, Russia. It was established by Dmitry Ivanovich Vinogradov in the town of Oranienbaum (Lomonosov) in 1744. Many still refer to the factory by its well-known former name, Lomonosov Porcelain Factory. With the abolition of the Russian monarchy in 1917, the Imperial Porcelain Factory was renamed “State Porcelain Factory” (GFZ -Gossudarstvennyi Farforovyi Zavod) by the Bolshevik regime. During the early years of the Soviet Union, the GFZ produced so-called propaganda wares, ranging from plates to figurines of the Soviet elite.
In 1925, on the occasion of the 200th jubilee of the Russian Academy of Science, it was given the name of the academy’s founder, Mikhail Lomonosov. It became known as the Leningrad Lomonosov Porcelain Factory (LFZ - Leningradski Farforovyi Zavod imeni M.V. Lomonosova). The newly-christened Lomonosov factory produced a range of wares, including collectible animal figurines and dinner sets.