A Capodimonte style porcelain tea-coffee service covered in porcelain Capodimonte rich polychrome relief of character and love. BLUE-CROWNED N MARKS.
Ernst Bohne Söhne was founded in Rudolstadt, Thuringia, in 1848 by porcelain painter Ernst Bohne. The first kiln was built in 1850. When Ernst Bohne died in 1856, his sons, Gustav, Karl, and David, ran the factory now known as Ernst Bohne Söhne (sons). Sometime later, David's children, Bernhard and Martha, took over. In 1919, the factory was sold to the Heubach Brothers from Lichte. From 1919 until 1930, the company ran as a branch of the Heubach Co. In 1930, the Rudolstadt branch was brought to a standstill. In 1937, Albert Stahl, Fritz Hamel, and a Mr. Liebman reopened the factory under the name of Albert Stahl & Co. Vormals (formerly) Ernst Bohne Söhne, but no steins were produced there from 1939 until 1990.
Bohne mark is an N with a crown above it, also stamped in blue. This mark appears to be a copy of the old Capo di Monte mark.
From its inception onward, “the Capodimonte name was synonymous with the finest quality Neapolitan porcelain," the Capodimonte Limited site said. The Royal Factory, which no longer exists, came to being when King Charles VII of Naples married Maria Amalia. She was the granddaughter of Augustus II, who in addition to being the King of Poland, also founded the first European hard-paste porcelain factory in Meissen, Germany. This area in Germany is known for making some of the finest porcelain in the world.
King Charles developed a curiosity surrounding porcelain through his new wife’s family. This interest developed into quite a productive passion that led to many years of research and development before the Royal Factory in Italy actually came about. Once the formula for porcelain paste was perfected, many skilled artisans and those adept at the craft, both men and women, worked to produce fine Capodimonte pieces. Plates, vases, small and large bowls, tea and coffee cups, large and small jugs, sugar bowls, tea caddies, teapots, snuff-boxes, and walking stick handles mounted in gold are among the numerous fine porcelain pieces produced at the factory in Italy. The Royal Factory eventually moved to Spain with King Charles and then several decades later under the direction of his son, Ferdinand, another Capodimonte factory was established in Naples, Italy. Ferdinand's factory also used the first the blue crown and Neopolitan N mark in the late 1700s, whereas his father's earlier marks were a number of variations of the fleur-di-lis depending on the age of the piece in question. The "Golden Age of Capodimonte" ended when Ferdinand's factory closed in the early 1800s (some sources indicate 1817, others purport 1834).Throughout the 19th century, it became popular with German (particularly Thuringian) makers to use the N mark for export wares. These wares are often of high quality and are by no means fake. Other modern Italian makers and importers to the US also make this implication - using the name Capo di Monti as if it were a real historic trademarked brand with a history going back to the 18th century.